Saturday, October 27, 2012

Are you bilingual?

I am often asked if I am bilingual. My answer to my Texan friends and colleagues is "Yes but in the wrong language for Texas."

I was born and raised in Poland, moved to Canada when I was 11 and at 24 I migrated to Texas. My parents have always stressed the importance of using our native language at home. They made sure that both my sister and I continued to read, write and speak Polish.  I want the same for my own children one day.

I may have limited knowledge of the Spanish language but I always make sure to provide the best speech and language services and evaluations possible. I am fortunate to be surrounded by many Spanish speaking SLPs who allow me to pick at their brains. My motto is "There's always a way."  In the past I have had great results using Interpreters ASHA. I have also visited many of the links from this website Bilingual Speech Pathologist Resources. There are also some great Apps that are available ASHASphere for bilingual and English-speaking therapist like myself.

In the end, this is the article that inspired this post Why Bilinguals are Smarter.

Cheerios
Beata

No comments:

Post a Comment