There are many ways that we as professionals can give back to our communities. One way is to be aware of your local, state and national organizations and resources.
One of my old colleagues Laura Overton, M.A., CCC-SLP, BRS-FD is the NSA Fort Worth Family Chapter Stuttering Support Group Lead and organizes monthly meetings for individuals who stutter and their families at the TCU Miller Clinic. She is amazing!
I have recently become involved with the Student to Empowered Professional (S.T.E.P.) Mentoring Program. I believe that professionals need to share their experiences in the field with each other and with future SLP candidates. Like I have said before.....speech world on the road can be quite lonely. We need to connect with fellow Speechies to continue to grow professionally and as individuals in this dynamic, predictable and unpredictable profession.
Our clients and their families also need a voice whether it be snail mail, e-mail, Facebook, blogs or just face to face. I encourage all of you to connect your families, of course with their permission, with other families who might be going through similar struggles. I encourage you to do something beyond just therapy with your clients such a local cooking, painting or pottery classes. Inform your families of upcoming workshops and attend these with them. Do not become a therapy robot!!! Life is too grand and does not only happen in a therapy room or in our clients' homes.
This month I am sending few of my clients and their families to a children's cooking class in Fort Worth! Can not wait to see these munchkins use their communication skills!
INSPIRE and BE INSPIRED!
Cheerios
Beata
No comments:
Post a Comment